Saturday 10 December 2011

Ruffle Dress

 Despite having a really bad cold this week I finally managed to finish the ruffle dress.  It needs a good press but that's all.  The picture doesn't do it justice as it is simply stunning and very flattering when on.  It's very fitted but the ruffle front manages to disguise any less than perfect bits!!
 Here's the pattern, I made version A at  the top of the picture.  You can see from the pattern pieces what a strange shape the front piece is - all curved round at the top so that when it is gathered it pulls it into a normal shape.
 When the two front sections are gathered they are sewn together wrong sides together to form the ruffle down the front.  To hold the gathers in place a tape is sewn on the inside of the dress.  I didn't have any red tape, but as its on the inside I used this grey that I had.  It's on the inside and no one will ever know.
 The sleeves are also fitted and have a zip inserted into a dart.  This means that the sleeve can be quite tight and also shapes the sleeve.
The dress is knee length and has a 'walking slit'.  I finished off the seams by hand as it's much neater on a special item.
Finally, I was unable to get a zip quite long enough in my local shop so I got the longest I could and didn't insert in into the collar as the pattern stated.  Instead I added three little covered buttons and button loops, it works a treat and actually makes a feature at the back of the dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment