Friday 16 September 2011

Sold !!!

Today has been a very sad day, and I have no picture to mark the occasion, my father moved out of the family home.  This is the house that not only did I grow up in but so did he and he has lived there all his life.  I found it upsetting to leave (and I haven't lived there for over 20 years), I that by today he just wanted to get it over and done with but he has been very stressed over the past few weeks.  This hasn't been helped by the fact that he slipped a disc in his back about a month ago and couldn't really pack much stuff himself.  Me and the kids have been helping as much as possible but we live 50 miles away so it has been difficult.

However being more positive, the actual move went as well as it could do and we had the keys for the new house by soon after mid-day.  Unfortunately because of the packing and dad's bad back, the house was filthy and half way through hoovering upstairs the hoover packed up.  Thankfully there is an electrical goods shop very close so I rushed down there, usually I hate the fact that an assistant 'pounces' on you as soon as you walk through the door of these shops but today I just said 'I need the cheapest hoover that you have and I need it now!'  and so we got a replacement.

Dad's new house is much smaller and even though we did downsize considerably, I think he still has too much stuff - it was the standing joke of the removals men that if they didn't know where a box went it had to go in the spare room.  However I left him a couple of hours ago with everything he needs in the immediate future ready.

Dad hasn't moved very far, and the house he's now in is much more suitable for him.  In fact it is in every way a very suitable house.  The only problem is it's not the old house, but we'll all get over that!

No comments:

Post a Comment