Saturday 24 September 2011

The long and the short of it

 Unfortunately I have no time for the sewing Sunday that I had planned for this week, but with a bit of effort I can make the items over several evenings this week and next week. I have to apologise for the pictures bit my camera doesn't take good photo's when it's dark!

 As the winter Bermuda shorts I have planned for the jade (or perhaps its more emerald?) cord is a new pattern I found time on Wednesday evening to trace the pattern out.  On Thursday evening I laid the pattern on the fabric and cut it out.  Here's the pattern laid out, it looks a bit messy as I only roughly cut out the paper pattern.

It was a bit of a tight squeeze to fit it all onto my 1 meter of fabric but I managed.  My nan taught me lay out a pattern when I was young and she developed her skills during the war when making kids clothes from worn adult clothing was common.  As long as the pieces are placed on the grain correctly you can usually use quite a lot less fabric than the pattern suggests.  This is all the material I had left - maybe enough for two patch pockets.


 I admit I did have to make the facings from a different material - part of an old pale green sheet!
and here's the actual pieces ready to sew.
 I spent Friday evening happily sewing (whilst my henna hair colour developed).
 The shorts have a side opening which the pattern suggested was closed with snap fasteners, but I had visions of these popping open every time I sat down or bent over.  I wanted a more secure fastening and as I was using a chunk cord fabric I opted for the hammer-on type of jeans buttons.

When I first cut the fabric I was worried that the shorts would be too small, but actually they fit really well.  This isn't the most flattering picture

Nest week I'll make the navy cardi to go with these, ready to wear when we go out for a meal with family on the 1st October.

No comments:

Post a Comment