Monday 16 January 2012

Waste not.....

Or what to do with some rather tired veg and a few things still left over from Christmas/New Year.

Yesterday I really had a bit of a 'using up' session.  As well as a collection of 'past their best' veg, there was some pastry from a pie that I had made for dinner on Saturday, a few bits still left from the festive season and lots of opened packets of flour, sugar and butter all with small amounts in.  Son does cookery at school and is  always taking new packets in when he cooks rather than using up the opened ones!!

First on the list were some pasties, to use up the pastry.  The filling is leek and stilton - just perfect for lunches this week.

Then I made a lovely ratatouille, to use up a part used aubergine, a courgette, an onion and some cloves of garlic.  All it needed was a tin of tomatoes to make a good meal with some crusty bread.

Finally to get rid of some of those nearly used packets of sugar, flour and butter I made a chocolate brownie. It also used up some walnuts left over from Christmas and was greatly appreciated by the 'troops'.

Now that I have cleared some of the cupboard and fridge, I can see what I actually have.

1 comment: