Sunday 1 January 2012

New Year, New Suit

First Happy New Year to you all. 

 During December I spent most of my spare time on the birthday cake or getting ready for Christmas and sewing took a back seat.  Then one day last week I woke up knowing that I had been dreaming of sewing and that's what I needed to do! 

My latest Burda magazine arrived just before Christmas.  There's not that many patterns in it that I want to sew as a lot of it is fancy dress costumes (may be useful in the future).  But there was this gorgeous ruffle collar jacket, and I had just the fabric to make it in my stash.  A thin woollen fabric in grey/blue that I bought many years ago to make a trouser suit that never got made.  I looked back at past issues of Burda to find a trouser pattern.
This close fitted bootleg pattern fitted the bill, both in terms of style and suitability for the fabric.  Bootleg isn't my usual style, but I thought that they would work very well with the style of the jacket.
I laid out the pattern pieces.  They had to be cut in two goes as I didn't have anywhere with enough space to lay out the whole length of fabric in one go.

The frills on the jacket had to be slightly frayed, so I did this one morning, whilst waiting for my mum to visit.
Yesterday, I set aside for the sewing.  Here is the jacket, complete with the belt that fastens it (I found the buckle in my stash0.
A close up of the ruffles, I do seem to have gone a bit 'ruffle' mad at the moment.  I'm not sure that I have ever sewn anything with ruffles before and the last two items that I have sewn have involved them!!
Here are the trousers, I couldn't get the full length into the picture.  They are very flattering when worn.  Very fitted round the top and then flaring out below the knee. 
Here's a close up of the pocket which is a feature that I particularly like but which is unfortunately hidden when the trousers are worn with the jacket.  I like these trousers so much that I might well make another pair.

So there it is the 'New Year, New Suit', all ready to go to work on Tuesday.  Hopefully the first of many sewing (and other projects) that will be completed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment