Saturday 9 October 2010

Sold my soul...

Last week I heard about people in their late thirties/early forties having mid-life crisis'. I am begining to wonder if I'm having one. First there is all this bag selling stuff. I was brought up very strictly to view craft activities as nothing but a hobby, and even though I don't expect to make much/any money selling bags I somehow feel that I have betrayed this upbringing.


Then something worse happened. I have worn glasses since I was 8. I am very shortsighted with a prescription in the region of -9.00 (if that means anything to anyone). Apart from a brief dabbling in contact lenses when I was in my late teens I always had glasses. i like glasses even though the thick convex lenses make my eyes look small and the heaviness often makes them hurt my nose. Glasses are a part of me. I went for my annual opticians visit, and as always complained about headaches and as usual I was told it was because of the strength of my lenses - the glasses only had to get knocked or slip a little and I'm not looking through the correct part of the lens. They always tell me this and always offer me contact lenses. I always refuse because of the extra environmental impact and the chemicals used. However this time I said 'yes' to a trial.


So now I have lenses, and the optician was right I haven't been getting so many headaches. Everyone I know says how nice I look without my glasses. They can see my eyes (which I have now started to enhance with a little bit of make-up) and my eyes are large/a lovely shape etc. Son (aged 14) paid me a back handed compliment after I had had them about three days by saying he didn't notice before because I didn't lok weird!. This week I have to go back for a check and say 'yes' or 'no' to keeping the lenses. If I keep the lense, I'll feel that I have sold out on my principle's and if I don't keep the lenses I have to go back to having headaches and a sore nose from the heaviness of the glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment