Friday 28 January 2011

Making a Mannequin- Part 1

I have always wanted a mannequin or dressmakers dummy, but in all my years dressmaking I have never justified the expense.  The time has come to rectify this situation, but I am still not willing to buy one.  A few years ago I read in a magazine about how to make a dressform from duct tape and stuffing. 


There are many websites that describe the process, but basically you wear an old T-shirt, wrap your torso in tape, cut it off and tape up the cut then stuff the shape and you have something that is similar to your body shape.
I enlisted the help of daughter to help 'wrap' me and here is the very unflattering picture of me in a half wrapped state.

I have been saving odd bits of old clothes and addments of material etc.  which I used to stuff the bodyform.  I also inserted a tube that had held a wall planner up the center of the form so that I could insert my 'stand' which used to be a mop!!
And here she is in her 'raw' state.
There's some finishing to be done to smooth her out, but overall I'm very pleased.

1 comment:

  1. Very clever! Picture number two looks very scary! Im glad its not you!!! Was it nice and firm or squishy? Ive always wondered if this method made a good dress form so Im glad to see it made up! Have you tested it yet?
    Youre so industrious Mary!!! Im in awe!
    Have a good weekend, Ren x

    ReplyDelete