Sunday 2 October 2011

The Shrimp Pink Jacket

Here it is, the result of my Sewing Sunday,
I know I should have made more of the sunshine but dare I say it, it was actually a bit too hot this afternoon - I did go out this morning when it was cooler.  Also I have been promising myself a Sewing Sunday for ages and it had to be today because Sunday's are a bit booked up for the next few weeks.

 Here is the picture from the magazine, and the pattern pieces.  It's a asymetrical double breasted unlined jacket.  The right front forms a soft drape above the fastening.  The fabric that I used was a lovely shrimp pink cotton, that I haven't known what to do with. The jacket is unlined as I didn't have any suitable lining in my stash.

 I only had two metre's of fabric and the pattern requirement was 2.45m, but with a bit of careful positioning I got all the pieces out of my fabric.

I was doing really well the main seams were sewn, including the collar.  Then I set it the first sleeve.  I was very pleased with how it went, until I turned it right side out and realised it was back-to-front.  I was most annoyed to have to waste time unpicking the seam.  Both sleeves were set eventually.
The seams and pocket flap are all topstitched.


and I finally used the self cover poppers that were in the box of treasures that came from my nan.



I am enormously pleased with the result. It needs a good iron (unfortunately doing the ironing is my next job). I have an important meeting at work on Tuesday and I plan to wear the jacket then.

I must hunt out some of the thicker material from my stash.  I now have so many ideas, I do have time to make them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment