Wednesday 19 October 2011

More felting

I've been felting again.  As usual when I take up something new I get a bit carried away.
I made this little phone pouch from wool leftover from the bag.  I added rings to it so that the bag handles from the larger felted bag can be attached to it so it can be used on it's own as a small bag.  I also added a hook inside the large bag so that it can be attached so I can always find my phone when it rings!

 That was the success story.
After that I remembered the bag of fleece that my dad gave me last year for spinning (which I never got round too).  It's been washed but has sat around in a bag for a long time now.  I thought I would try felting with it.
 So I carded a load of it and laid it out round a template to create a pair of slipper boots.
 Unfortunately it didn't felt well.  It eventually did felt but seemed to have stretched, and no amount of dunking in hot water, cold water and rubbing made it shrink.  
I'm not sure what the problem was.  Perhaps the wool needed more washing before felting or perhaps it wasn't good felting wool (it was a rare breed cross but I'm not sure what breed).  Probably both combined with my novice felting skills.
But it hasn't put me off - I've ordered a book called Felting Fashion, and I am eager to try some more projects.  So watch this blog over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment