Friday 21 January 2011

Henna Hair

The henna block
I have naturally mousey coloured hair that I have always hated.  I have been colouring it since I was about 14.  When I re-discovered my eco streak several years ago I had a dilema because I couldn't find a suitable hair dye.  I completely stopped colouring it for a while, but mousey hair isn't really me.  Then last year I discovered that Lush did henna, I first used the braun but it was a bit too dark so I now use the marran.  I dye it about every six weeks.




First I thoroughly wash my hair with bicarbs and rinse with apple cider vinegar, you can use regular shampoo but shouldn't use conditioner (I only ever wash my hair with bicarb/apple cider vinegar or plain water).

The mixture
Rough dry the hair, and as it finishes drying start preparing the henna.  My hair is just past chin length and I use two squares.  They need to be chopped up very small or grated and then mixed with very hot water - it forms a greenish brown paste.

me wearing the plastic cap
I put a little oil or facecream around my hairline and then wearing rubber gloves I spread the mixture over my hair.  Then cover my hair with a plastic shower cap and sit around for about two hours.  Then I remove the plastic shower cap and rinse the henna off under the shower.  I then wash thoroughly again with bicarbs and apple cider vinegar and leave my hair to dry as normal.

It takes another 24 or 48 hours for the full colour to develop.  This turns my hair a stunning shiny dark chestnut colour and seems much thicker.
Washed and nearly dry

No comments:

Post a Comment