Tuesday 11 May 2010

From old to new

A few weeks ago I went into a charity shop one lunchtime. I don't usually do this because the ones near my work aren't the best and I'm usually too busy. There at the front was a lovely chunky sweater. Or rather the yarn was a lovely variagated mix of pink, purple and grey, the rest of the jumper was out of shape and in some places a bit worn looking. However I had to have it, I just knew I could reinvent it.


I couldn't wait to get it home and start unraveling it, so much so that I forgot to take a picture until it was nearly all rolled into balls. I did quickly manage to take this one before it was completely unraveled. It does show how matted it was in places from not being looked after properly.

I have a fab patern for a bolero that I got from Ravelry some time ago and have knitted in several different forms. Its basically a pair of bell shaped sleeves that extend across the back and are joined together with ribbon. It knits up quickly with chunky wool and size 12 needles and so is good when a quick craft fix is needed.



and here's the finished item. I salvaged the pink ribbon from a top I made a few years ago (the ribbon was used to tie the waist), but the top never suited me. I tried adapting it by putting elastic in the waist but it still didn't work, my body seemed too long for it!!! So I gave the top to a friend, by that time minus the ribbon which I kept and it was ideal for this. I love this pattern its lovely and thick and extends down over my hands, which are always cold, but it doesn't add bulk round my stomach which is often the case with chunky knits. And as the weather is refusing to get much warmer it's just right for putting over my summer tops so that I don't have to half freeze to death.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, this looks lovely. Very pretty with the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete