Tuesday 15 February 2011

Perceptions of Beauty

Last month I gave up wearing make-up to work (I usually use a little bit of mineral shadow and a levera mascara and lipsalve).  No-one said anything.  Then after the 'new' fringe, I decided to go back to my usual make-up.  Immediately several people said how nice I looked.  On discussing this with my work friends they said it was just that that's what everyone expected in a professional work environment.
We then got onto the subject of shoes.  I have been very happy wearing my flat shoes for several years (thank you Ren), but they all wear heels.  I have been persuaded to try a pair of wegde shoes - I can't possibly walk in high heels.  The first day (last Friday) I wore them with black jeggings and a little top. I fely very 'tarty', but my friend's told me how slim and elegant they made me look and how shapely my legs were!  Yeterday I wore them with brown trousers and a patterned jacket, this is a staple work outfit, and a girl who I hardly ever speak to told me how nice I looked.  Today, I wore them with a tunic top with a crochet front panel and black leggings, a lady from a completely different office, who I hardly now told m how 'cute' I looked.  Is this coincidence or it is just that convention says that women should wear shoes with heel's.  The experiment continues for the rest of this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment